Owens & Minor Communications Specialist in Mechanicsville, Virginia
Develops and implements plans for communications for internal audiences, including Home Office and global field teammates. Manages and executes project plans to accomplish those strategies - including timelines, content, appropriate review, coordination of final production work, distribution to audiences, and measurement of effectiveness.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1.Serves as a liaison and communications consultant to teams and stakeholders across the company to conceptualize communications employing a variety of tools and tactics including, but not limited to internal news, leadership communications, and direct communications to teammates using email, print, video, and web.
2.Works closely with leadership to implement communication project plans, including tactics, timeframes, and budgets for existing and new communication vehicles that incorporate all types of media. Measures the effectiveness of results and adjusts tactics and message accordingly.
3.Works independently or with subject matter experts to develop and author content for communications appropriate for various audiences. Works individually or in partnership with other Communications Team members to produce creative, quality final products that adhere to Owens & Minor brand standards and consistently convey company key messages, business goals, values, and culture.
4.Participates in the development of content for corporate meetings and events, including drafting communications for various events.
5.Assists in the development and application of standards for the company's internal communications efforts.Also, ensures all internal messages are consistent with the Owens & Minor external brand and have clarity of message and consistency with marketing strategies.
6.Consults and collaborates with internal clients to define project requirements, establishes messaging, and develops content for internal communications needs.
7. Conceptualizes, writes, edits, and creates content for company materials, including (but not limited to) newsletters, brochures, Intranet content, teammate campaigns, internal news releases, and presentations.
8.Uses contemporary best practices to create content, applies new ideas and concepts to Owens & Minor's communications efforts.
9.Handles assigned communications projects (from concept through production), including writing assignments, basic layout, and presentation creation.
10.Recommends communication policy guidelines for internal communications. Serves as editing source for the Communications Team, evaluating content for grammar, editorial style (Chicago Style Manual), accuracy, clarity, and completeness.
11.Reads and evaluates material submitted for publication. Organizes material, maintains communication with submitter, reviews final proofs, and approves or makes changes.
SUPPLEMENTAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs additional duties as directed.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in Communications, Marketing, or a related field.
- Minimum, 2 (two) years of experience in communications planning, project management, and delivery in a corporate communications or in-house creative services environment, required.
- Demonstrable writing skills. Ability to share a portfolio.
- Prior advanced experience in the use of Mac and PC versions of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Prior intermediate experience in the use of in Adobe Creative Suite, specifically InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Prior experience with Final Cut Pro, preferred.
- Prior experience with content management systems, web publishing and SharePoint, preferred.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent writing, editing, grammar, and proofreading skills including the ability to reduce complicated subject matter into simple terms for a variety of audiences
- Extensive corporate writing experience, necessary. Demonstrated creative copywriting skills also necessary
- Knowledge of various media production, including print, video, and web, and the aptitude to accomplish them in an innovative and cost-effective manner
- Ability to work effectively to deliver measurable results in demanding environments with diplomacy and adaptability, while handling multiple tasks, prioritizing activities, and meeting deadlines
- Proven ability to provide superior level of customer service to internal clients, providing effective, strategic counsel and solid direction on how to meet needs
- Strong personal initiative, creativity, problem-solving skills, and the ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS & WORK AIDS
- Personal Computer
- MS Office Suite
- Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
- Inside working conditions.
- No environmental hazards indicated for this role.